DID YOU KNOW:
- Only a little more than half (54.1%) of all Texas residents actually vote?
- Of Texas residents between 25-44, 52.7% actually vote?
- Only 1/3 (32.1%) of all young adults (18-24) actually vote?
One of the main preventive barriers for voting comes from lack of awareness for the voting process. Specifically in Texas, voters MUST be registered 30 days before the election, and voters CANNOT register online.
March 6th is a very important election for Texas, as there are open Senate and House seats at both the federal and state level. Probably the most impactful is the challenge for Ted Cruz’ U.S. Senate seat by Beto O’Rourke (D), who has gained significant traction in the past few months and currently serves as a beacon of hope for many Texas Democrats, who haven’t seen a representative since 1994. Currently, O’Rourke trails behind the polls by a mere 8 points.
But having a voice starts with getting your paperwork together! You officially have less than a week to register, so do so before the week is over! See the steps below.
1) Find out if you are already registered here: https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do
2) Pick up a voter registration application, or get an informal application online and then print it out: http://www.votetexas.gov/…/where-to-get-an-application-2.ht…
3) Mail it BEFORE Feb. 5th to the county office where you are a resident. Find your county office at this list: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/electio…/voter/votregduties.shtml
Make it count!